Re: RC: Annual Meeting/BOD List

Kathy...

Have you EVER been to a meeting?  I went last year....my first
Convention...and I wasn't ABOUT to miss the Board meeting.  It's very
"formal" with all the directors on a raised stage above us, with a
microphone in the middle of the aisle so people can come up and
"address" the board. The "atmosphere" is not at all conducive to a
"discussion" of issues with the membership. It's not a two way thing. I
speak in public all the time at business shows, in front of hundreds of
people...but I would have been reluctant to step up in front of all my
peers and the Board and express my views in that environment.  I could
do it...but I wouldn't like it.  It's gotta be REALLY scary for people
who aren't used to public speaking. It was obviouos that the members who
did speak were nervous! :) I don't know how the "Supreme Court" conducts
business, but that's the "mental image" I got.

I would like to see the BOD offer the opportunity to those few who are
willing and can afford to attend the Convention to do some "Round Table"
Discussions".  Give the general membership the opportunity to "Meet the
Board Members" and frankly discuss issues that the members feel are
important. There was a comment last year...somewhere...fergit
now...maybe on Ridecamp...about the BOD meetings being "poorly
attended". Hmmm...I can see why.

I would even agree to keeping the "formal" approach...but afterwards,
BOD, could you come down to the floor, introduce yourself, and mingle
with us? Ask questions..."What do you think about"...go out of your way
to offer your hand, listen as long as someone is willing to talk. Last
year, I was looking, looking, looking to "meet" members of the Board.
Got to talk to Barbara McCrary several times (nice lady), but just
casual conversation. Saw Merryben for a moment, but she was busy and I
didn't get to meet her. Got to meet Barney (even took a picture of him
and Susan G. Gonna blackmail them with it next year) <grin> Know Diane
and Jerry Fruth because got to ride with them a couple of times, and
know the SE people, but beyond that it seemed that none of the directors
"mingled". They did not go out of their way to "press the flesh". <grin>
Maybe it was just me, maybe it was a perception, perhaps I was in the
wrong place at the wrong time, but I REALLY tried. The meeting ended and
everybody was "outta there".

How about a "reception" afterwards for a couple of hours....hosted by
the BOD? That should improve attendance! Not only do we want you to know
our views, but we would like to hear yours. It's the only time you have
a cross section of the membership available in person.

"Attending" the meeting ain't gonna' get it, Bob Morris.  There has to
be the opportunity for dialog with the board....otherwise, just send
your Director an Email....much more effective, and hopefully, you will
get a reply.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic