Re: RC: Board Motions

I will make a short response to the issues to be considered by the BOD
as requested by those speaking out
on this list.

As everyone knows  this list is not 100% AERC.
MANY who post here just COMPLAIN and BITCH and RANT  - FLAME - find
fault with every comment - on and on etc.

I have posted on issues not related to the BOD  or AERC - but the sport
and  have been taken to task  and flamed etc so WHY POST?   BUt here I
go - again.

BOD ISSUES - the same applies here. There are a few readers I have 'interacted'
with and  passed private and public comments, but mostly from and with
those who just bitch and  offer nothing for the common good or
SOLUTIONS. Many are part of the problem.

AERC IS NOT a free form for the BOD to ask everyone for a pre-vote
before we act. Else we need no BOD.
Sure the BOD makes mistakes and has to undo errors from time to time
.. BUT YOU elected all 26 of us to do the BEST for the sport and AERC
AS WE SEE IT.  And we SURE do NOT know it all and have all the correct
answers.. as some on this list surely do. -- or think they do.

I sure do listen to the rants here on this list .. many just get
canned   but others are in a file to read over and take to the BOD
meetings and to present to the BOD list as suggestions.
Many get passed over.

We   (at least about half of the BOD)  do DISCUSS - ARGUE and fight
about the issues on the BOD CLOSED list. I for one like it that way.
We work out the issues among our self - ask YOU the riders about
issues at rides and then come up with solutions to problems.

Some we can undertake at the BOD level  - others need the membership
approval.
Once we  get the issues as good as 26 different members - riders can get
them .. we either act or take them to the membership.

Mike posted the motions we will address to the lists with full
knowledge of the BOD members on the BOD list - it was not a lack of the other
members taking action - this was what we agreed on.

It takes an extreme amount of my time to just work though the issues
with the active online BOD list, as well as read over all the
proposals and paper work send out every month and do this list as
digest form. I really DO read the monthly financial statements.

Such issues as the
NEW BYLAWS .. I have some issues .
NEW FINANCIAL PROCEDURE and POLICY  - I have issues

THE BUDGET  I have issues

Do I REALLY need to address them here also?

A few of the other motions on the proposed list are questionable, I have read
YOUR comments posted here and printed for review. I really do not need to enter
into the discussion. I DO really need to read constructive comments
and advice.. not bashing about the lousy job we are doing .
Bob M really does this well.
I trust you will run again and fix all the problems .. ??

Also comments from non-members cloud the issues. They may not even be
riders or in the AERC. I do not desire to enter into a heated debate
with them or even our members, just comments --.

When I believe I am at an impasse with the issues and the BOD  - then I
will take the 'problems' to the members in a form such as this one or
at rides.

I do NOT believe we have an obligation to discuss every action or
issue the BOD must undertake in a public form such as this. Hopefully
I (we) were voted into office because YOU trust us to run
this organization in its best interest.
Of course there are many BOD members with private agendas that do not
appear to provide for the common good or  the sport.
I have some of my own, I agree to set some aside since the members do
not concur with me.

I do see where we are getting two new regional directors from the CT
and MT, this is good. I like to see a turn over in the BOD, if nothing
else we get new opinions and ideas. And maybe very active BOD members
who want to question WHY and look for better ways. I get  very
tried of the old clique " well- you are new and DONT UNDERSTAND'  or
 ' well we tried that it did not work'  or 'we always did it that way'
 or 'thou shall not complain'..
 I always try to work out a solution to an issue, and sometimes its
 best to let it alone and take no action.

 I for one would like to see BOD term limits and a smaller NUMBER.
 Then of course you need members who will run for office. That is
 not an issue at this time.

  SHORT COMMENTS ON MOTIONS

  1. BOD MAIL LIST - for BOD discussions on issues. We say MANY things that
  DO NOT need to be made public. Could be legal issues VOTE NO

  2. DNF new code DQ    I also like the suggested RO-L RO-M  to cover
  the horse-rider IF vetted OK  then the rider pulls for a horse
  issue, not a vet pull  see M21  VOTE YES

  3. OUR AERC NC. Folks I will NOT go there just yet. There are members
  of the BOD and AERC who do NOT want this event. Let it be understood
  - I SUPPORT THE AERC NC as the only ride AERC SPONSORS and
  co-manages. The rider support this year is clear. Over 400 members
  were there. I will go down fighting this one. VOTE NO

  4. Sanctioning works well as is  VOTE NO

  5. Support of outside org -donations. Far to restrictive. as
  published - needs discussion. VOTE NO

  6. AERC Financial Policies - Not as presented. The policy makes the
  position we in AERC do NOT ever require an outside CPA AUDIT of our
  books and financial status. Other points are NOT clear enough to me
  at this time- I require more discussion and explanation. VOTE NO

  7. Annual Budget in final form - will be part of minutes when passed  VOTE
  YES

  8. Rider Fee  increase from $4 to $5 for Trails Fund. I want to see
  this fund supported. We just had an increase for this year from $3 to
  $4 , this increase would be this year also. Unless I hear major
  objections  - VOTE YES.

  9. Trail Preservationist Award. Concept is valid. Not sure how it
  would be implemented or given. A test run may be the best here, to
  see how it works. Cost is min. VOTE YES

   10. VET Checks on 50 milers. Regardless of the data or lack thereof
   to support this. I will vote for the 'standard' of min 2 VC per 50
   miles  WITH the option for waivers under special sanctioning. This
   is a hot button topic. I will go with the Vet Comm VOTE YES.

11. Vet Comm addition on the 'job of the vet' I really do not see an
issue here. I see this as current 'unwritten' policy. More of job
description, that most vets actually abide by.
I will listen to the Vet members comments on this one. for
now VOTE YES.

12. Change in Preamble VOTE YES

13. AERC- AERA. I am concerned about outside agents and organizations
telling us how to run AERC.  An alliance without interference may work
but then why bother. I am also not so sure I like AERC getting deeper
entwined with the international issues - FEI and world problems. I
support the concept of passing these type of issues to the AERC
INTERNATIONAL Comm. We will have and do have enough issues with the
'home' team of international problems AHSA and USET. I need to hear
discussion from Randy on this one and get other BOD positions. For now
I VOTE NO

14. Statements on horse death Rule 2.1.9 . Appears ok as is however
the Bob M. mod is clear and does cover all the issues.  VOTE YES

15. Horse death 2.1.8  VOTE YES.

16. AHRA- AERC data share  at what cost? I need to  understand what
this will do for both.  VOTE YES

17-18-19  AERC NC    VOTE YES YES YES  you bet .. say, is THIS MY pet
agenda - you bet it is.  I will offer a post rant on this subject,
Be it known to all  - I qualified this year but did NOT ride .. BECAUSE
the chair (Terry Wooley Howe) permitted LD MILES to count as
qualification ENDURANCE miles for the AERC ENDURANCE NC.
 MY PROTEST was to NOT ride - I was not able to get
this changed since no one on the BOD would address it. I was asked by
Diane Fruth to NOT make a big deal about this point or the other
points until AFTER the NC was over  Be it known there are a number of
BOD members who do not want this ride - supported in any way by AERC.
They want it to PAY money to AERC but not offer any support. Such as
AWARDS - as of now there are NONE. This is  NOT 'just an other ride' as
many want it to be. This ride IS different. I have discussed this ride
with many riders, ALL have indicated a desire to develop this event.
I support Diane Fruth and Connie Caudill in all their efforts.
I will post a more in depth paper on this issue.

20. Drop weight divisions  VOTE NO.

21. DNF codes  - along with number 2  RO-L RO-M SF  DQ  If we add the
DNF codes to provide a better granularity of the REAL reason the horse
did not complete, we will have a better database for analysis VOTE YES

22. Multi-day Special events wording change VOTE YES.

23   will comment on this if I have the time when posted..

24     cant find my notes  or never had them on these issues

 xx..  AERC NEW BYLAWS. I have some major issues - Require section by
 section approval. I also REALLY need to understand the POWER of
 Authority given to the EC. I am not sure IF they can run AERC without
 advice and consent of the BOD. This will be a long process. I have
 read and re-read the changes - I concur we need new bylaws, I need to
 understand the new ones better. I will NOT vote for them as proposed.
   I admit my weak suits are corporate management,law and finances. So
   I REALLY have to walk though the issues to vote with understanding
   and purpose.

Well I guess it was NOT short  - too bad.

But that is it from me.
I will NOT enter into an email bash on these issues. 'You' asked where this
DAL stood on the issues.
All comments to me or on the list will be read and considered.
I have things to do before I leave on FRI. I will not have the time to
get into major discussions.
I will provide reports after the battles.

As GW does it  - 'the press meeting is closed'

--
 Roger  Rittenhouse 8263  DAL

 cc: BOD list
                           mailto:roger@vmaxept.com