Re: RC: Information on the motion concerning the NC use of the AERC name

To whom it may concern,
(Motion 3, presented by national office committee) It strikes me as a bit
odd that "AERC" does not want financial responsibility for the AERC National
Championship Ride because it may be a financial drain. Then suggest it's
just fine to skim $20/rider off the top.
Granted the National Office has no business managing a ride, but I'm not
sure they're doing anyone a huge favor by "letting" someone manage one in
the name of AERC.  If the membership expects a national championship from
AERC, is it not somewhat obligated to provide one, in some fashion? I surely
don't want AERC losing money, but perhaps making the ride a profit center
should depend on the ride actually showing a profit.  Otherwise, who will be
willing to undertake such a monumental task in the future?

Other very related motions:

18. Motion: The AERC pay for the cost of the National Championship Awards as
presented at the convention. The cost of the awards shall not exceed $6700
and will be paid for out of the AERC General Fund.
Presented by: Diane Fruth, AERC National Championship Committee Chairman
If motion 18 passed, then motion 3 would have some validity!  The riders
would be paying $20 each to see to it that there were national awards,
regardless of whether sufficient sponsorships were obtained by the national
ride management/committee. Money for awards would not come from general
funds, but from the NC rider's fee funds.

20. Motion: AERC drop all weight divisions from competition and go back to
having just one National Senior Champion plus a Junior National Champion.
Presented by: The Rules Committee Chair

We're so worried about this thing losing money. Let's reduce the number of
possible winners! That's sure to increase participation!

In the 10 years I've been a member, the AERC National Championship, in it's
several various forms, has never seemed to offer a whole lot of prestige.
(Though not for lack of trying on management's part! All the one's I've been
to were excellent rides!) I seem to remember one year the winners didn't
even get into the yearbook? Or maybe the 1st place did but not the other
placings. The particulars aren't that important. The impression is that the
National Championship just doesn't matter a whole lot. It's been a joke to
some people. The fact that "AERC" wants to sell it's name for $20/rider &
not be involved in any other way pretty well sums it up. If it's OUR
National Championship Ride it darn well SHOULD be publicized in OUR
magazine, Endurance News. It's not "giving free advertising", it's
distributing information to the membership about THEIR national
championship.
Perhaps the membership doesn't really want a National Championship? Speak
up! Do you think money should come from general funds, or all from the
participants? It's time to give this ride the talking up & support it
deserves, or just forget it. It's a shame for so many people to work so hard
as they did this year, and have at past NC rides, in the name of AERC. And
somehow AERC (we) did them a favor by letting them use the AERC name?
I got the impression they were doing this FOR AERC!

Personally, the championship series fit our concept of what an endurance
champion should be. Excellent performance over time, not just a one-ride
event. It proved to be an unwieldy form, and more trouble to figure out than
a lot of people thought is was worth. The membership (was it a poll or an
official vote?) decided on a championship ride format. As Jim said, the
entire membership had the opportunity to qualify for the right to attend
this ride. It was not financially prohibitive for anyone who had set it has
a goal. So, if the membership wants a one-ride championship, the entire
organization needs to quit treating it like a joke, support it vocally, in
print, and financially as much as prudent. If it doesn't pop your cork,
attend the events that do, but don't run the championship down. We supported
the ride as vendors, and it was really tough to be there & not riding! Maybe
we'll change our minds and ride next year, but if not we'll still support
OUR CHAMPIONSHIP the best way we can.

Nancy & Monte Mitts