Re: RC: Re: Looking for Farrier (Altoona Fl)

This story reminds me of what my farrier and I
discussed this week while she was out. Note
that i said she and she isn't large at all. She does
not attempt to deal with a unruly horse as she
just can't afford too, anyway we had a BLM auction
in our area  a few weekends ago and 200 mustangs
sold. My farrier said she isn't even thinking of
new customers for a while till all these mustangs
are trained.

It was scary to see the people that bought these
horses, I know several buyers that had no business
getting these horses. (and they were still quite wild
though you could touch them) I know I wouldn't
want to shoe them!

Julie

At 09:48 AM 10/30/2001 -0500, Maggie Mieske wrote:
>Cheers to you...I missed the original post looking for a new farrier but
>went back and read it.  You are right... Nelson will often insist on helping
>owners work with and train their horses to stand and to some extent, it's
>not that big of a deal.  But when we are busy and on a schedule, we can't
>take time to train someone else's horse when the owner isn't willing to pay
>extra for it (sometimes they are but mostly aren't) and if we have an hour
>scheduled for your horse and we have to take two, it really screws up our
>schedule.  We only take on new clients now who have your philosophy.  If
>they get a new horse that isn't well behaved with his feet, we don't get
>called for an appt until he is.  Many people feel that it is the farrier's
>job to train the unruly horse....NOT!  If Nelson gets hurt, we are screwed
>big time.  I am sure the client whose horse hurts him isn't going to
>volunteer to pay the bills until Nelson can work again either.  WORK WITH
>YOUR HORSE and work with your farrier...show your farrier you have HIS best
>interests and health at heart and he might even help you out with
>suggestions or show you some training tricks.  Good luck,
>Maggie

Julie R.Coats, A.H.T.
NCSU College of Veterinary Medicine