Re: RC: Looking for Farrier (Altoona Fl)

Lisa,

You don't need a good farrier, you need to train your horse.
You need a round pen.  Get the Monty Roberts tapes and go
to it.  There is no way to expect a farrier to work with a
horse like this.  A horse can end a farrier's career (... life
for that matter) in very short order.  Then what are they
supposed to do?  Program in C from a wheelchair and like
it?

When you can ride your mare in easyboots *you* put on all
4 of her feet and take off all 4 of her feet then you can start
working on having other people risk their lives trying to shoe
her.

Round penning works.  Monty, John Lyons, Pat Parrelli, who
ever you like.  Just that YOU get to get in there and do the
work with her.

I worked with a 15 year old gelding who wasn't all that good
with his feet.  He wouldn't let me pick them up and clean them,
no way I was going to ask my farrier to try to shoe this horse
that wasn't mine.  I think 2 or 3 round pen sessions and he was
standing well for the farrier and then I didn't have any trouble
cleaning his feet anymore either.  He just didn't understand.

Then there was the spoiled rotten 2.5 year old baby colt who
got too big before anyone showed him who was boss.  We
round penned him one morning, the owner continued to make
sure he simply behaved, and the farrier who used to insist
on sedation, came out to a different horse.

Lots of people here know I didn't know sh*t about training horses
when I first started, but that didn't stop me from learning how to
teach my horses to behave safely and me to handle them safely.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM