Information on the motion concerning the NC use of the AERC name

Vicki Rutter requested that the following information be posted to the endurance
lists concerning one of the motions before the board that the National Office Committee
proposed.

Questions should go directly to Vicki at  rutter@dakotacom.net

Mike Maul

Motion to assess a per rider fee at the NC ride for the use of the AERC name.

AERC sanctions rides.  AERC does not get involved in the management of any ride.  AERC can recognize the
NC ride as a special ride.  AERC has worked
hard to build a reputable name in endurance and we are allowing that name to be associated with one
specific ride by calling it the AERC NC ride.  The per
rider fee is a small price to pay for the use of that good name.
AERC supports the NC ride financially by promoting it in EN both through full page ads and it is
mentioned numerous times in messages from officers and
committee chairs.  In ad space alone, EN has provided over $7875 worth of support for the NC ride over
the past two years.

I am concerned that the NC ride will become a financial drain on AERC if we start participating in the
expenses of the ride.  I saw the budget early on for
the 2001 ride and they were anticipating a $10,000 loss.  I questioned whether they could absorb this and
they were hopeful to get a sponsor to help but
that didn't happen.  AERC is in excellent financial condition right now but, in order to stay there, we
must treat all rides fairly and just sanction them, not
get involved in direct financial support.  In order to help stop this on the front end, I would like to
see the NC ride be a small profit center for AERC
through the "franchise fee" for using our good name and not end up being asked to pay for ride amenities
or awards for just one event that AERC
sanctions.  Everyone sounds like they had a wonderful time at this years NC ride so hopefully the riders
wouldn't object to paying a little higher entry fee
for the use of the AERC name and to cover whatever awards ride management chooses to give.

Vicki Rutter
National Office Committee, Chair