stumbling words

Hi. A friend of mine took me under her wing and introduced me to the
wonderful world of endurance. (I won't mention Barbs name) At my first
endurance race, we were going on trail in the dark. The horse I was riding
had poor sight in the dark so he was about running into trees and tripping
over everything. Now I was nervous as it was not only because I was pretty
new to riding with my hair on fire on trail and scared to death of tripping
and falling head over heels but because I was riding a horse who was as new
as I was to this. Anyway, my friend told me she knew someone (who's cousin
was a good friend to someone who was related to their friends cousin, blah
blah blah) who had a trippy horse and she used to say "HUP!" everytime she
came to a root, large rock, etc. Well I tried it and by golly it worked. I
wasn't nervous anymore because of his tripping and he actually listened.
By the time you say "watch your feet" or "be careful" or "there's a root up
ahead so you'd better watch out for it", that horse hears "blah blah blah"
and is tripping over that root already. So "HUP" works better for me. Try it,
you'll like it.
Deb
By the way, HUP means "Heads Up Please"