jealousy

My regular riding horse, Special, is having a little vacation due to that
bladder infection we discussed (thank you everyone!).  So, I've tried riding
my young filly Knightmare, that I mentioned being afraid of riding a few
months ago on this list (again, thanks everyone for the advice on that too).
I have really worked with Knightmare on de-spooking her and getting her
accustomed to me petting and messing with her from her back and a friend has
taken her on several trail rides.  So, Saturday, a friend came over with her
trailer, I got out my saddle and bridle and laid them out and went to catch
Knightmare.

Special, however, had other ideas.  When she saw the trailer, she began
yelling at me and pacing the fence line.  Special is a BIG mare and head of
my herd.  When she realized I wasn't going to take her and was trying to
halter Knightmare, she attacked Knightmare and started chasing her and biting
her.  Then, she'd come back to me and try to stick her head in the halter.
When we came back from the ride, Special proceeded to once again chase and
punish Knightmare.

Is this weird or has anyone ever heard of a horse being jealous of another
horse being ridden?  I feel badly for Special and I'm not going to stop
riding her, but the ride with Knightmare went SO well, I definitely want to
start riding her more.

Rhonda