TWH in Endurance

Mike,
Tennessee Walking Horses are used in endurance, as are other breeds, and
with proper conditioning, they can succeed. The key is proper
conditioning, and looking for an individual horse that has some natural
endurance, as well as good conformation, good legs and feet. There are
quite a few rides in the area, both North Carolina and South Carolina. I
manage the Hallelujah Ride in February. If you like gaited horses, my
"partner in crime" has Paso Finos that she rides in 25s. Although
Arabians seem to have the kind of recoveries and endurance  to keep
going year after year, individual horses from any breed can compete, and
if they are conditioned and managed well, can be successful. AERC
records show many breeds of horses competing. Arabians are more popular,
but any equine is eligible. The  important thing is that you and your
equine partner get along well together, enjoy each other's company on
the long trails, and take care of each other.
Lucie Hancock