Re: Abcessed Foot

Susan -

Thank you SOOO much for your reply!  I really respect your opinion and that of the numerous highly educated sources you have.  I believe you may have gotten my post crossed with that of the H202 IV post...

Actually, my mare did not have an abscess, she had a "Street Nail Procedure" done.  This procedure involved cutting OUT the nail she had stepped on.  The vet who performed the procedure told me that due to the depth of the injury and the fact the nail had penetrated the bursa (sp? the sack that surrounds the bone) that simply pulling the nail was almost a guarantee of infection.  This surgery involved cutting a conical shape into her frog about 1 1/2 inch in diameter (pretty much cut the whole thing out) and deep enough you could SEE the bone the first day. The vet was the one who told me to change the dressing everyday, due to the extreme degree of exposure it was imperative to keep the area VERY clean and sterile.  My mare has a medicine-plate shoe on, which is a regular shoe set very wide at the heels.  The farrier then filed out a small slot at the front of her hoof directly under the shoe.  There is a metal "plate" which is the size of the shoe that has a small tongue at the front that slips into the notch in her hoof.  It then attaches is 5/8" bolts to the back of the shoe, which has holes drilled into it.  Kind of hard to explain but you can maybe get the picture...?

Would you do me the HUMONGOUS favor of asking that same equine surgeon about the "Street Nail Procedure" (this is what my vet called it and other local vets I've asked have recognized this name).  About how long should I expect until my mare is not acting lame anymore?  I've been told anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months... AARRRGGGHHH!  It's so frustrating!  Also is there anything else I can do to help promote good healing?

I appreciate you help and all of your extensive knowledge and input which you so freely contribute to Ridecamp.

Crysta & Sugar