Definition of an Endurance Saddle

Hey folks I am new the whole endurance thing and am trying to read through all the faq's on the website and such.  But I am a bit confused on one point.  What actually is the definition of an endurance saddle?  What makes a saddle more usable for endurance riding and competition of a regular saddle?  I am seeing English Western and Aussie style saddles all being described and sold as endurance saddles.  The only common traits I could see were light weight materials, and lots of ties.  Could someone clarify this for me please?  Thanks!

Kerry Lebel
Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.