NC and dailing 911

First I want to say that the National Championship rides were first class and the people who rode them and the people who managed them formed a group I was proud to be a part of. It was fun, be was friendly and the rides were a challenge to the horses and the riders.

I have to say something on the dialing of 911 for people who are unwilling to be seen.  I have been a critical care emergency  nurse  in a busy city hospital for over thirty years.  You cannot treat a person who is injured if they say NO.  It is not ride management's job to call an ambulance for someone who refuses. The paramedics are trained professional but they can not force treatment.

In many states there is a direct charge for the service.  5-8 years ago it was between $500 and $900 in some of the western states, well over $1600 if a helicopter was needed.  In Maryland there is no charge, still if the person is alert and able to make a decision -- it is their decision.

Any injury of any kind at an endurance ride should be the responsibility of the individual.  Horse events are one of the most  dangerous and severe ways of getting hurt.  We all know this when we go to a ride.  We come willingly and we submitted ourselves to the danger even when it is getting run over by someone's horse or falling off a mountain.

Do not look at the rides insurance for money.  There will be no rides if management pays our bill and makes decision for us.  They won't be able to get insurance.  Pat