Shoeing Problem

" My farrier does not have much experience with correcting over reaching

in horses. I know there is a lot of experienced riders and farriers on
the list, so I told her I would ask the list for help. Can anyone help
me?
 Up till now, I had not been working my mare a lot. We took that ten
mile
ride last Sunday. That was the first time I saw any problems. She is
just
scraping her right fore foot with her hind. When I worked her this past
Saturday, she really clipped herself good! I am getting a pair of bell
boots tomorrow till we find out if it can be corrected with trimming.
Our
first ride is Saturday October 20 and I don't want to lose any training
days!"

My advice is on the next shoeing to have her  back toes squared off so
the horse will break over faster.  This has worked on my short backed
Arabian horses.  Bell boots are okay, but you should watch that they do
not rub - especially where she has already scraped herself.

Jan Jeffers
AERC Board Candidate
West Region