Re: RC: RO

In a message dated Tue, 9 Oct 2001 10:30:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Susan Young Casey <glenn218@yahoo.com> writes:

>On the other hand, if I feel a
> little something off with my horse but the best vet
> eye can't see it yet but I pull anyway, here is the
> part where the vet can report more accurately what was
> going on.  The vet can report on the survey sheet that
> the rider felt the horse was becoming lame although
> there was no observable signs of lameness.

Exactly.  And it is still reported as L for lame.  What happens on the sheet is that minor problems do not get write-ups, but any that require any sort of treatment, or suggested treatment (even if it is just a support wrap) are supposed to be written up.  That process also needs some more uniformity, but in general, the L's with no writeups are the minor ones.

> This is an education issue that needs to be covered
> with ride vets *before* the ride.  If a horse meets
> the criteria that it is to be pulled, it is pulled
> with either a L or M code.  Like you said, the horse
> is in trouble and it doesn't matter who makes the
> decision to pull.

Not only is this an education issue for the vets, it is also an education issue for the RM's.  A brief note in ride packets explaining WHY we have pull codes and how they are to be used would be EXTREMELY useful in helping us toward more uniform use of them.

Heidi