Why this novice shouldn't have attempted this 50

I noticed a post recently from a rider wondering what distance to attempt.
Here's my story:

A month or so ago, I was toying with the idea of attempting a 50-mile
endurance ride and was encouraged to do so by some contributors here. It was
even suggested privately by one contributor that I wasn't cut out for
endurance or that perhaps I am over horsed.

Howard, thanks for your words of caution. Because of you, my intention
changed to attempt a two-day 50 this last weekend. That didn't happen
either.

My half-Arab mare just turned 6YO at the end of Sept. I've done two novice
level and one open level IAHA rules CTRs on her. She completed 25 miles
easily in 4 1/2 hours in July and took GC at that CTR, finishing completely
sound under a tough vet with small deductions for pulse. I ride 30 to 40
miles of LSD per week. 20 miles (in 3 1/2 hours) is training distance for
us. I have completed a few hundred miles of IAHA rules CTR on other horses.

I was told by the RM that this ride was rolling hills, a bit more
challenging than my home trails. With all due respect to this person (whom I
*do* respect for her riding ability, her success with horses and her RM'ing
rides, etc.), this trail was the most difficult trail I have ever ridden.
(This was a new ride site, so all participants were unfamiliar with the
trail.) It wouldn't be easy in dry conditions and it was made treacherous
after an all-night rain. Belly deep bogs, few flats for moving out, lots of
rocks and very steep muddy hills. The first finishers in the LD took 4
hours. Riders and horses who have been doing distance rides (CTR and
endurance) for years and years took 5 to 6 hours to complete.

I didn't make the 6 hour time for the LD. It took us 6 1/2 hours. Although
my mare pulsed down EASILY at both checkpoints, she was not sound, although
the vet did not notice. (All of the horses were "off" at least a little.) I
accomplished my goal of tiring the horse without exhausting her and didn't
push her to injury. I have to keep telling myself to be happy with this and
to not be dissappointed about not finishing in time. I decided not to
attempt the 25 mile CTR the next day.

This 25 was far more difficult than the most difficult ride in my
experience: a two-day, hot and humid 60 mile ride.

I am a much wiser person now, I learned a lot about what I have been doing
right and what needs work. I wouldn't have learned any more by doing the 50
and I might have injured my horse.

My email address has more significance to me now that I didn't finish. I
chose it early in the summer as a goal to work towards, never dreaming that
I wouldn't accomplish it. I can't believe that 25 miles kicked our butts,
but it did.

Deanna (Ohio)