Re: RC: RO

In a message dated Tue, 9 Oct 2001 12:11:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Susan Young Casey <glenn218@yahoo.com> writes:

> There was a horse there that had inverted CRI's all
> day long.  Now, in actuallity, the vet wasn't a
> stickler on time and *may* have taken the second heart
> rate too soon.  Or, a horse could have raced past this
> stallion causing his heart to speed up.  At any rate,
> not knowing any better, I'd have pulled that horse for
> a 13/16 CRI.  He wasn't pulled but the rider was
> warned.  The horse came finished in 8 hours (ride
> time) and had an excellent CRI at the end.  Now, since
> the vet didn't pull her, let's say that the rider quit
> on her own.  Would that indeed be RO or metabolic?

Metabolic.  It just happened to be an issue that resolved.  Again, even if the rider chooses to pull the horse, we want to know WHY the horse was pulled.  There are always "shades of gray" issues as far as whether the horse can go on or not.  But they usually are not gray as to what the issue is.  The grayness is in the degree of severity, and in those cases, the rider may or may not choose to go on, even if the veterinarian feels that the situation has not reached a point to cause concern.

Heidi