Darolyn's Accident (update report)

Hi Everyone
Oct. 8, Hard to believe that it has been almost 3 weeks since my accident.  Even though I've glanced at the computer 2-3 times in the last week, I'm just now able to stay up (at least with lucidity) long enough to write the kind of "-mail thank you"I wanted to.

I've always said all of you were like family... and you truly are.  I may be slow, but I'll try to answer everyone personally that sent cards, candy, brought food, flowers, etc.  And please, if I talked with you on the phone prior to a few days ago.... there's an excellent chance I won't remember it.  Between the drugs & the minor concussion my recall of the past 3 weeks is pretty slight.

If you're interested in the details of the accident, here is what I am told happened... thankfully, shock helps erase all the personal memory of those events.

Vicki Hudson & I had stopped off at Grace & Jan's up in Illinois to visit a few days as we were in route to the Kettle Moraine Ride in Wisconsin.  On the 3rd day, Jan, Grace & I were gathering an ornery ole cow that kept getting out.  We were actually driving 3 of them in (very slowly, no dramatics or fast/furious cowboying), when coming down a step, slick (wet) hill, the mare's feet I was riding, slipped under her, she reared in response, and somehow did a 180 spin & fell backwards, DOWNHILL!  I took the full power of the arc & hit the ground on my backside like the proverbial sack of potatoes, bricks or whatever.

Then to add insult to injury, the mare came back on top of me, scrambled up & fell on me once more.  I vaguely remember coming to on the ground, (thank goodness Jan/Grace have a helmet rule on their ranch) .... it may have easily saved my life as hard as I hit.... even with its protection my brain was pretty rattled and I had a terrific whiplash as well.

EMT's arrived in literal minutes, then, after being strapped to a back board,  7-8 gentlemen acted as human shock absorbers as they held the back board in the back of a 4X4 on into the ranch & waiting ambulance.  The hospital ride was a mere 30 minutes & the hospital care was par excellence.  Had a bad trip once 6 years ago.... and I can really appreciate the good ones now.

The force of the pommel (thank god no saddle horn) probably broke the pelvis, & the force of the crash is probably what got my spine.  I have a compressed vertebra & 2-3 of the spinal prosthesis are broken off.  Yes, it was pretty doggone painful at first, & still is on occasion if I move wrong or too suddenly, or not not often enough.  I'm up in a wheel chair for a few hours each day, I can take short trips (10 steps or so) on a walker, & can get up & down out of bed on my own now.  Its amazing how much better I am each day.  Just mainly have to watch that I don't progress to fast.... (I pay for that with a sleepless, uncomfortable night).

I should be fairly healed by the middle or late November.  Hopefully I'll be riding by December or January... so don't all U middleweights in Central Region get to complacent.  ;-).

Once again, the sincerest of thanks for everyone's concern and communications.... love to all... and please wear those helmets.

DJBD
Darolyn Butler-Dial  & Mark Dial  (COWBOY)

             CYPRESS TRAILS EQUESTRIAN CENTER & HORSEMAN VIDEO SHOWCASE

             Proven Endurance Horses for Sale or Lease.

Adventure Trail Rides * Boarding * Training*Lessons *Parties

Represents:   Sharon Saare Saddles, Professional Choice, Advanced Biological Concepts,  & KM (Human Electrolytes)

ADVOCATE :THE WHOLE HORSE TRIM (Barefootin")

21415 Cypresswood Dr.  Humble, Texas 77338

        Ph:  281 446 7232    Fax 281 446 0113  Toll Free (800) 228 8768

      e mail: darolyn@swbell.net         http://home.swbell.net/darolyn/