From: Barbara McCrary [mailto:bigcreekranch@cruzio.com]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 9:29 AM
To: Kathy Mayeda
Cc: RIDECAMP
Subject: Re: RE: Pull codes

I don't think a "metabolic" pull is anything to be ashamed of, nor would it go against the horse's record.  It just shows a smart rider, not a compromised horse.  Any horse can have a bad day, and a smart rider is one who pulls out before the "bad" becomes "worse."  This has been the jinx against using the REAL reason a horse is pulled.  Riders have been concerned that it would look bad on the horse's record.  RO tells vets nothing, unless it is truly a code referring to the rider, who may be tired, injured or ill.  The reason for pull codes is education, not punishment.  How else can vets learn statistics about horses?  If a given ride has a disproportionate number of L pulls or a disproportionate number of M pulls, then it tells the vets something, or the ride management.  Perhaps the ride is unrealistically difficult, or the terrain is too punishing.

Barbara