Re: RC: Re: Just a spoon full of sugar...

Hi Susan,
the studies in humans have, as you describe, shown that glucose is
transported from the intestine by a sodium-dependent pathway.
Therefore some sodium taken simultaneously with the carb will
improve glucose absorption.  It may be important to remember that
the human studies of absorption of fluids and carbs during exercise
are always done with fasting subjects who drink only the sugar-
electrolyte beverages provided to them.  Humans rarely take solid
foods during exercise, except during ultra-endurance events
[distances greater than the marathon].  Don't we almost always give
our horses solid food with the electrolytes?  Hay, grass, a bit of grain,
carrots etc?  That solid food would certainly provide carbs?  So the
exact nature and amount of the sugar supplied with the electrolytes is
probably not such an issue, because they are taking it along with
other feedstuffs.  Solid foods require a longer period of time to leave
the stomach and to be made isoosmotic, thus delaying the rate of
absorption.  If you are only providing water, electrolytes and sugar
you can probably estimate the time needed for fluid to actually be
absorbed.  In practice, though, we are feeding more than sports
drinks to our horses, and the rate of absorption is probably much
more difficult to estimate.
Just some thoughts,
Beth Glace, MS, CDN
Sports Nutritionist/Research Assoc