Re: RC: duck-isms

At 08:36 AM 1/24/01, Nina wrote:
There is no way to check gut sounds, cap. refill,
mucous membranes etc. from your motor cycle or lawn chair.

Paul and I once worked as vet secs on a NATRC ride.  It was early on in our distance riding careers.  What was fascinating was listening to the vets talk about each horse as it approached the check.  One vet had put a large log just at the crest of a steep hill with a long climb just before the check.  Some people thought it was cruel to put what they thought was a jump right there.  The vet hadn't put it there for jumping at all however, he just wanted to see how each horse handled the obstacle.

Both vets predicted the condition of each horse as it walked over, jumped over or stumbled over the log.  Both vets were right on.  Although they did physically check gut sounds and everything else, they really didn't have to in order to know just how each horse was doing.  Since we were writing down the results of the examination, Paul and I were able to verify this - it's not hearsay, it's fact:  An experienced vet can tell so much about a horse by just watching him that the rest may well be redundant.

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
            Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
          Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html