Re: RC: [Fwd: Re: LD AND OPINIONS]

In a message dated Tue, 23 Jan 2001  8:17:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, Jim Holland <lanconn@tds.net> writes:

<<
A-hem.....I don't see why it would be against the rules even if he is
NOT entered. I have been to many rides where we see pleasure riders,
trail riders, and riders of all description out there with us....some of
them have even ridden alongside while I described the joys of
Endurance.  As long as he isn't leading their horses or otherwise
assisting them to complete the ride, he can ride along with them...in
fact the CALVARY could ride behind them or in front of them without
violating the rules.  I applaud his concern....butt out!>>

Jim, first off, you might want to familiarize yourself with AERC rules, specifically Rule #6(k):

"6. Completion requires meeting all of the following criteria:
<snip>
k. Not having been paced or prompted by an un-entered, withdrawn, or otherwise unauthorized equine, vehicle, or a person other than another entrant. This does not preclude the ordinary support services of attendants or pit crews. A crew may accompany their rider down a public road in a support vehicle (unless there is a ride management prohibition against it) provided they do not push or haze the equine. "

Second, reread my post--I was reminding MaryBen that the ride manager's husband was, indeed, most likely entered--which was later confirmed by two riders in the SE region--Truman Prevatt and AERC Director Susan Kasemeyer.  I, too, applaud his actions and efforts--even moreso since he is doing what he does within the framework of the rules.

MaryBen's error was not in knowledge of the rules--it was in the assumption that the man was not entered in the ride.  She is absolutely correct that his actions would have been a violation otherwise.  Both her comment and yours are examples of reacting without knowing all the facts.  I'm sure she stands corrected regarding her assumption, but as a long-time former director, I'll stand behind her in her later statement that as a director of AERC, she is sworn to upholding its rules--as in fact, all members should be.

Heidi