Re: RE: Fw: gaited: 50/50 chance

----- Original Message -----
From: Truman Prevatt, PhD <truman.prevatt@netsrq.com>> Lawton Johnston and I
had several conversations about this issue. He rode many> different horses
in his day. But he always was trying to cross his walking> horse mares with
his Arab stallion to get a gaited half Arab. He gave up. I've> considered
breeding my endurance walking horse mare with an Arab, but it would> be to
get a good trail horse that could do the miles with a brian, not to get a>
gaited half Arab. I would suspect, however, that the trot would be smoother
and> flatter and that the spooks would be many fewer and much farther
between. But I> wouldn't bet that the cross would be "gaited."
> > Truman

Many arabs are naturally gaited, in fact, they used to have 5-gaited classes
at the breed shows. But it has been bred away from, just like the natural
pinto (sabino) coloring they can have.  I have two naturally gaited arabs
here, and a friend just sold one. I have two others that
almost-sometimes-just barely slip into a very soft something about the speed
of a medium trot., and I've seen our little Christmas filly do a running
walk.  I've never spent much time on gaited horses, so I may not be using
the correct terms, but they are moving other then the normal three gaits.

If you want a gaited Arab, I would look for one.  If you wanted a gaited
part-Arab, I would look for a gaited or gait-inclined Arab to breed to the
gaited-horse of your choice.  It wouldn't guarantee gait, but it sure would
increase your odds.

Becky Huffman, Cleburne, Texas
Huffman's Arabians ~ The Original Series ~
http://www.htcomp.net/Huffman/

"Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from
doing something worthwhile." Sir Wilfred Grenfell (1865--1940)