RE: Fw: gaited: 50/50 chance

If the gaited gene was dominant, wouldn't it be 100% gaited hetorozygous
in the F1 generation if the stallion was homozygous?  Then the next F2
generation would be 25% homozygous gaited, 25% homozygous non-gaited,
then 50% heterozygous gaited.  If the stallion is heterozygous gaited, then
next generation will be 50/50 gaited/nongaited.  Something like that.

I bet it's more multifactorial than simple Mendel's genetics formulas
though.

K.

<<I have heard that the gaited gene is dominant - if this is true, and the
gaited horses only carry 1 gaited gene, then you could expect 50% gaited
foals out of a gaited stallion and a non-gaited mare, 50% gaited foals
out of a non-gaited stallion and a gaited mare and 75% gaited foals out
of a gaited/gaited cross.

Now, if you have a horse that has several generations of gaited horses
in his/her direct ancestory (sire and dam were both gaited) than there
is a good possibility that he/she would carry 2 gaited genes and
therefore would produce true (all of his/her offspring would have the
gaited gene).  Using the premise that the gaited gene is dominant, there
are probably plenty of homozygous gaited horses out there.

I would say that our percentages (when breeding gaited/gaited) are a lot
better than 50%, even better than the 75% - close to 100% of the foals
are gaited.  Not all are really, really well gaited - but I think if you
watch them long enough you can catch every single one of them doing a
foxtrot.  If you include "pacing" and "running walk" in "gaited" I think
most foxtrotter breeders would say they get close to 100% gaited horses
when breeding a foxtrotter to a foxtrotter.

Also, when breeding the same stallion and mare year after year, we have
found that certain crosses produce a well gaited foal almost every time.

Judy>>

  I just received a post on my endurance listserver from a woman that
has an Arabian Stallion. She has bred him to a FT and a TWH. She told me
that it was told to her that breeding a gaited to gaited will only give
you a 50/50 chance of the get being gaited. A gaited stallion to a non
gaited mare is the same, 50/50 and breeding a gaited mare to non gaited
Stallion is a 100% shoo in. I find this hard to believe. Would like some
input to send back to her.
  amber

------

  _____