Re: cross breeds

Here is another opinion........having owned a Foxtrotter that gaited nicely, but tripped and fell down randomly, I came to appreciate the athleticism and surefootedness of the Arabian........my first and formost requirement is a horse that doesn't fall down with me if there are any rocks in the road. I did not find the Foxtroters to be very surefooted, despite breed propaganda.  I had also been told that when buying Walkers, to be careful and not buy ones that had only been on flat ground, or naturally had low action.

I talked to a lot of folks (including folks that did Tevis on walkers)  One claimed that her walkerj ust bulldozed through the rocks, flinging them to the side.  One man said he had found a breeder that had Walkers that picked up their feet.........Truman may have opinons on this also, haveing successfully competed on a TWH.

From all this info, I came to REALLY appreciate the trot!!  The trot is a very balanced, stable gait.

I currently own a Walker/arab cross.  Thank goodness she DOESN't gait, that she has a good solid trot!

I'm sure you all have contrary info......this is just my experience. I am not sure that crossing a gaited breed with a trotting breed is such a great idea!  The main benefit of of my mare (walker/arab), was a larger size horse with great bone........but then she has cooling problems....

I am convinced that the best all around endurance horse is the pure Arab and I own 3 half arabs!

Karen
----- Original Message -----
From: Amber Applegate
To: guest@endurance.net
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 5:07 PM
Subject: RC: cross breeds

I am ready to have my Arabian Mare foal to a Missouri Foxtrotter. I bred for this cross because I like to do endurance riding, have never been in a race, but would like to. I am a baby boomer (sounds so much kinder than to say I am over 50) with lots of past surgeries and broken bones. I love both breeds, and now that I have had the pure pleasure of the MFT's gait, I am hoping to bring the best of both worlds to the endurance.
I have had people tell me that there is no gait with the cross (actually only one person) to others, several that have said that there is definitely a gait that is much smoother than a hard trot. MFT's were also bred for endurance and they have such a willing and gentle disposition.
My question is, Has anyone had any experience in endurance riding with this type of cross?  My mare is due in Mid March.
amber