Re: RE: Slower Ld's

> He's actually getting better because I've been hanging further
> back at the start and it helps.
>
> He is also just calming down with experience so you can't say that
> "doing it" doesn't work.

Kathy, You are doing the right thing by just hanging back and taking it
easy. My Arab gelding had tons of the bomproof training and upper level
dressage, and was ordinarily a joy to ride on training rides, but it just
did not matter when I took him to his first ride. To my surprise I did not
know that he was going to be "balistic" "crazy" or whatever you want to call
it. He was trained yes, but just did not now how to deal with the excitement
of a lot of other horses. Time, miles, and patience preservered. Almost 1000
miles later he is now quite a gentleman and nows how to deal with lots of
other horses. He still gets excited, but he knows how to deal with it now. I
am convinced that no amount of training in the  world would have been more
effective than just doing a lot of long slow endurance miles.
Robyn
Robyn