Re: RE: RE: Sneakers

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Sherrell <grizzlyan@mindspring.com>
To: <guest@endurance.net>; 'Ridecamp' <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 8:00 AM
Subject: RC: RE: RE: Sneakers

> How do they last compared to iron shoes on gravel/rock?

Amazingly they wear different on different horses. One of my older geldings
just used to pound the ground. My other mare lightly floats down the trail.
The gelding would wear the Sneakers out in about 3-4 weeks while the mare I
could usually get by with a reset. Average wear time for her about 6 weeks.
I found both horses moved much more short strided with them. My mare
developed severe contracted heels. These shoes are far too rigid and do not
allow the heels to expand. One thing that I noticed is that the toes wear
down to nothing in no time and you are left with the horse running in REALLY
high heels. These high heels tip the coffin bone downward pushing into the
sensitive laminae of the toe. It's kinda like wearing women's high heels.
What pain! After a while, because all the force of the foot is being placed
on the front toes it just plain hurts and you just cannot wait to get the
darned things off. It is the same principle to the horse, although much more
horrible consequences are the result such as laminitis etc. Also, the soles
of the feet and frog cannot touch the ground natually which is so vital to
have maximum circulation in the horses feet/ legs.
 I highly recommend saving your money. They are a pain in the neck to put
on, very time consuming, and most importantly they offer no benefical
function to the horse's foot. Good Luck!
Robyn
My horses have been happily barefootin' it the past six months and moving
better than ever!
Robyn