first LD

Linda Dewees quiltrider@hotmail.com
Hello ridecamp!  I just completed my first LD, 30 miles, at Fire Mountain last weekend and here are my impressions.....everyone I met was so friendly and helpful.  I let people know it was my first ride and they were very welcoming, and answered any questions I had.  The people I met in the dark at the pre-ride meeting recognized me the next day and always asked how we were doing.  We got passed a LOT and everyone was courteous, careful, and smiling.  When I was off my horse (replacing easyboots) every single rider that passed asked if I was ok.  The volunteers were great too, and they all had time to steer me through my first ride.  The "diatribe" by the vet the night before didn't bother me.  He didn't explain himself too well, but I knew he meant that it's easier for inexperienced people to ride their horses too fast at the shorter distances.  Finding out there was an introductory 15 mile ride while he was giving his talk is what set him off!  He was also down on "nutraceutacals" sp?  and over-electrolyting.  He didn't think the horses needed electrolytes at all in these weather conditions, which made me feel better because I didn't give any.
I've been reading ridecamp since last May and that really helped me a lot.  But even though there were no surprises, you can't really understand what a ride is like till you do it.  Like the horses REALLY want to go fast at the start! I'm glad my POA mare Rosie made it within the maximum time!  I knew it was going to be close and I'm very proud of her.  She felt fine the next day too.  I'm just glad there are volunteers who are willing to put on these rides, and I can't wait for the next one....Twenty Mule Team Feb. 17.

Linda and Rosie (who will never forget their first time)

ps...I've read that some of you get too many t-shirts, but I couldn't wait to get one to proudly wear in public.  That's ok, I can carry my chair around.  I love it!  I was also given a cool spotlight/lantern in honor of completing my first ride!  Believe me, new LDers are made welcome.