Old Macs & Swiss Boots

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

Tracey Ritter said:

> Good point, but why expend precious time and
> energy of making something fit when there
> are other products on the market that funtion
> just as well (if not better) and are easier to
> apply and remove?  Options are a good thing!

Because those "other products" have their draw-
backs too (some of which require you to expend
both precious time and lots of money).

So far, in my investigations, I have not yet
found anything that works better here in
the dry hard footing that describes most
of the endurance rides that I go to than
EasyBoots foamed on over steel shoes.

And one of the nice things about EasyBoots
is that they have been on the market for over
20 years, and the peoeple that make them are
endurance riders themselves.  Horse have done
probably in the hundreds of thousands of miles
of endurance competition in EasyBoots.  This
is a great body of knowledge and experience to
draw upon.  And Garrett Ford is helpful, attentive
to endurance rider's concerns (not only because
he is an endurance rider himself), in possession
of tons of information, knows a lot about the
situations (and types of horse's feet and/or
conformation) for which EasyBoots are suitable
and those for which they are not suitable.

I am currently training in Old Mac boots.  And so
far, for the horse and the situation that I am using
then in, they are showing some distinct advantages
over EasyBoots (but they have some disadvantages
too, and I have atleast one report from somebody who
tried them on his horse that they are indicated in
causing this particular horse to get muscle cramping
in the hindquarters).  If my training with them continues
to go smoothly over the next two weeks, I MAY decide
to try using them for competition at the Grand Canyon
ride next month (maybe they will keep my horse from
running me into a tree :)).  However, I may also decide
that I haven't yet used them enough (nor has anybody
else) and go the EasyBoots over steel shoes" route.
I have found the people at Old Macs to be equally as
willing to help as Garrett Ford, but they certainly don't
have as much information about how the boots work on
endurance horses in competition (I hope to be able to
provide them with it).

So by comparison, the time and trouble of EasyBoots
(and the availability AT a ride of assistance from
other people who have used them extensively) is
significantly less than it is for Old Macs (and probably
for most of the "other products" that Tracey speaks
of).

_I_ am willing to put in the time and trouble with the
Old Macs because I think that after I have worked
the kinks out that they will probably work better for
my horse(s?) in my situation.  But I may be wrong about
this (since I have not yet worked all the kinks out).  I
hope not.

For people who don't want to go to all the trouble (and
expense) of trying some of the new products that may
be better in some ways, EasyBoots will be far less
trouble...and, as I said, there will be lots of very
experienced people who can help.

And if _I_ could use EasyBoots without foaming them on
(which I cannot because of the shape of my horse's feet),
I wouldn't bother with the time and the expense of the
Old Macs....well...maybe I would, because I have NEVER
felt my horse move so well as she does in Old Macs (not
even barefoot)...except in the mud...they don't work so great
for her in the mud.

kat
Orange County, Calif.