Easy Boots, Overreaching, and Collection

Jill Lynd tjlynd@montana.com
First, my problem:
     My horse wears and size 2 Easy Boot but the excess material, off the
back of the boot, sticks out too far. When
he trots, and sometimes at the walk, he overreaches far enough
to catch that edge. How far can I trim that down before it
becomes a problem with debris being kicked into the back of the
boot?
     Also when a horse has a big overstride, may it naturally
travel in a more collected manner? I can tell the difference
when he rounds his back but am wondering if he would have that
much overstride if he wasn't using himself, as in hindquarter
power.
     Hope you can help. Thanks, Jill