Re: RC: Swelling

Lynn,
Are there honeylocust trees where you rode?  My gelding was used by a friend
once to mark trail, on a Tuesday.  Did fine, loaded him into the trailer and
drove the 10 miles home and he unloaded 3-legged lame.  the barn owner worked
with him for several days (I was stuck at the camp preparing for the ride so
she did it all) and she was nuts trying to figure out what the problem was.
No filling in tendons, no sensitivity to hoof testers, just localized swelling
and heat and lameness.  Friday she went out to check him and he had a small
hole in the front of the pastern, down low, and the soreness was improving.
She was finally able to determine that he must have hit a honeylocust thorn,
and they carry a toxin.  Anythng like that around?
Mickie (OH)