Re: RC: Temper tantrums?

She obviously had a defective rope then.  Also, there have been many knock-offs produced since the original Leader came on the market.

I had several and none of them broke.  They *will* kind of stretch out after a while though if pulled on many times.

Jennifer

Lynette Helgeson wrote:
903040092.20010928072122@ndak.net">
Hello Jennifer,

JT> I will second the recommendation for The Leader lead rope. Actually, my
JT> old farrier, Tom Ferguson, founded the company that makes them. He used
JT> to give them to me for free when he was out trimming my mare.

JT> Anyway, my mare turned into a puller when she was about 3 years old.
JT> She spooked and snapped the hardware on a regular lead rope once and
JT> that started the habit. I started using the bungee lead rope on her,
JT> and she quickly learned that there was no escape and pulling back was
JT> useless - it kept pulling her back towards the hitching rail and would
JT> not break. I used it for about a year (out of paranoia - I probably
JT> would have been fine with only a few months) before finally switching
JT> back to a regular lead rope. She has not sat back since.

JT> Jen nifer

JT> Bob & Amber Roberts wrote:

A belly rope tying her to a Pin Oak in the pasture.
Any other ideas?
Sallie

We had a horse that did the same thing.  A "trainer" let him break loose
and it started the problem. We ended up buying a lead rope called "The
Leader" which is like a bungie cord. It doesn't give the horse anything to
pull against as it gives with the horse. It solved our problem.

Amber

I have a sister-in-law who has a horse that started to pull back at
the trailer, snap two cotton ropes in half. She bought a bungee rope
and tied her up with that, she pulled it out from the snap with one
pull. It did not work.