Re: RC: Temper tantrums?

Hello Jennifer,

JT> I will second the recommendation for The Leader lead rope.  Actually, my
JT> old farrier, Tom Ferguson, founded the company that makes them.  He used
JT> to give them to me for free when he was out trimming my mare.

JT> Anyway, my mare turned into a puller when she was about 3 years old.
JT>  She spooked and snapped the hardware on a regular lead rope once and
JT> that started the habit.  I started using the bungee lead rope on her,
JT> and she quickly learned that there was no escape and pulling back was
JT> useless - it kept pulling her back towards the hitching rail and would
JT> not break.  I used it for about a year (out of paranoia - I probably
JT> would have been fine with only a few months) before finally switching
JT> back to a regular lead rope.  She has not sat back since.

JT> Jennifer

JT> Bob & Amber Roberts wrote:

>>>A belly rope tying her to a Pin Oak in the pasture.
>>>Any other ideas?
>>>Sallie
>>>

>>We had a horse that did the same thing.  A "trainer" let him break loose
>>and it started the problem.  We ended up buying a lead rope called "The
>>Leader" which is like a bungie cord.  It doesn't give the horse anything to
>>pull against as it gives with the horse.  It solved our problem.
>>
>>Amber

I have a sister-in-law who has a horse that started to pull back at
the trailer, snap two cotton ropes in half. She bought a bungee rope
and tied her up with that, she pulled it out from the snap with one
pull.  It did not work.

--
Best regards,
 Lynette                            mailto:helgeson@ndak.net