Thoughts from Egypt

The events of New York have had a profound effect on life in Egypt. Many
Americans express fear and/or hesitation about moving around freely,
especially having been warned by their embassy, although no one I've been
able to find...and I have looked...has been able to say that anything
unusual has happened to them other than expressions of regret. This despite
what the press has been putting in papers from the Wall Street Europe on
down. Our tourism, the main source of hard currency in Egypt, is down
something like 60%. Want a bargain on foreign travel? This is the time to
come. The school that my children attended in Cairo, Cairo American College,
has students of over 60 nationalities in its 1500 pupil student body. A few
days after the bombings, the school held an assembly where three of the
student officers, Arab and American, spoke of the need not to hate. I'm
still on the mailing list for the school as I support the theatre, music and
arts program, so I got this today. I apologize to anyone who got it twice
due to overlapping posts. But when someone asks you what "people over there
REALLY think", please pass this on. We, much more than any reporters, are
"people over there". I think that it is very worth passing on.

"At the all school assembly held the first day back following the tragic
events of September 11, three students and one parent delivered
inspirational messages of unity.  Last week’s Highro-Glyphics featured the
three students’ speeches.  This week, the message of unity presented by
parent Nivine Captan-Amr is being shared.

Yesterday afternoon I was at Cafe Greco, escaping the pressures of the day
with a latte, when Drew Alexander called asking me to address you at this
morning's assembly. Naturally, my first reaction was "Why me!?". The answer,
however, was so obvious that I dared not ask the question and, instead,
immediately accepted. I am here this morning to share with you "why me."

I am Egyptian-born, American-raised, and a devout Muslim. All of these
identities live together in one little body in the same manner as many more
do in this student body.

I am here because, in a sense, I am a little miniature of you. It is awesome
to note that my three components coexist in total peace and unity. No
qualms, no conflicts. They all see eye to eye. The reason for this beautiful
harmony is that I am NOT a hypocrite. The question now is are YOU? No one
can answer this for you. You need to dive into the depth of your soul and
take a good look. Let me guide you in this maneuver. You ARE a hypocrite if,
for you, mere humanity is not enough of a common denominator. Surely, you
may feel the pain and suffering of others, but if and only if they happen to
be the same size, shape and color as yourself. If, on the other hand, you
are someone who values all human life equally, mourns all human loss equally
and abhors all human blood shed equally, you're O.K. While you are still at
the depth of your soul, you may want to consider the following situation.
What if some person "A" has terribly violated a person "B" who, in an
attempt to vent his anger, has decided to lash out at a person "C", namely
you, by dealing "C" quite a blow. Naturally, "C" is hurt and feels angry .
You, Mr. or Ms. "C", think it is utterly insensible for this "B" person to
have misdirected his anger at you instead of at "A". But what do you do? You
ARE a hypocrite if, much in the same way as "B" did, you look for an
innocent person "D" to avenge yourself from.

Now let us rise to the surface so I may share one last thought with you
before I leave. Tuesday's tragic events have hit me pretty hard. As an
American, I was shattered. As an Arab, I was baffled. But it took my Islamic
faith to kick in and straighten me out. It (my faith) looked at the fingers
of blame pointing all over and commented on how shamefully weak and flimsy
they are. It looked at those clenched fists of retaliation and said that
they were bound to cause more pain and suffering. "Hasn't there been enough
already?", it asked. Then, it ordered me to relax those hands, examine them
carefully and imagine what they were made for. No doubt, at a time like
this, they would be unparalleled in wiping a tear, patting a shoulder,
giving a hug or helping to their feet those who have fallen. But, don't take
my faith's word for it! Check with your own faith what hands are for. Then
put yours to good use, please."

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
maryanne@ratbusters.net