Removing foamed-on boots

Karen Chaton wrote:

> To remove the boots with foam, the best way is to start with a large
> flathead screwdriver and go around the perimeter of the boot (between the
> hoof and the boot), loosening it up (pry apart).  Then, soak with water,
> either use a hose or a sponge and soak the entire foot.  Let the horse
> graze or hang out for awhile, keep wetting things down periodically.  The
> movement and the water getting in there helps work things loose. Then they
> usually come right off.  It takes some practice to get really good at it.

In my *very* limited experience, it isn't necessarily all that difficult to
remove the boots.  For my horse, the few times I've foamed on EZ boots, I
just (carefully) used a flat-head screwdriver to loosen the foam from the
hoof and then pulled the boots off.  Maybe it depends on the shape of the
hoof.

As for getting all the bits of foam out of the boots -- now that's tough,
but needle-nosed pliers do help.

Cindy