Re: RC: Easyfoam and thrush

At 09:42 AM 09/25/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>foam sticking everywhere.  Anyhow, any helpful hints out there on how to avoid
>the thrush?  Any easy way to get them off?

Hi Julienne:

Before you put the boots on, spray the hoof with iodine or a 10% bleach
solution.  I did this all summer, and then foamed the boots on for two week
intervals.  This worked well on my two horses.

To remove the boots with foam, the best way is to start with a large
flathead screwdriver and go around the perimeter of the boot (between the
hoof and the boot), loosening it up (pry apart).  Then, soak with water,
either use a hose or a sponge and soak the entire foot.  Let the horse
graze or hang out for awhile, keep wetting things down periodically.  The
movement and the water getting in there helps work things loose. Then they
usually come right off.  It takes some practice to get really good at it.

Happy trails,

Karen
in NV
& 2 horses w/ over 9,000 miles in easyboots (and counting)
http://www.redwrench.com/EZboot/karen/karen.html   <--direct link to my
easyboot pages