Re: RC: the big choice...long

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 19:01:05 -0400 Jim Holland <lanconn@tds.net> writes:
> IMHO, Mare 2 is by FAR the best candidate.  The laid back
> disposition is  very desirable in Endurance.  You find that once you
get her out
> there  in competition, the "mosey" will go away big time. <grin>

  Not too sure I agree with this in every case.  I have a mare that fits
#2 to a tee - major food hog (definately takes care of #1), but also
extremely laid back and calm.  I have taken her to rides and nothing gets
her excited.  To get her to go into something faster than a 1.5 mph walk
required a lot of leg aids.  I gave up after one loop.  My legs were
exhausted and I wasn't about to get a crop and force her.   First, I
would take mare #2 to a ride and see if the excitement and competition
rouses her.

Rae
Tall C Arabians - SE TX