RE: Re: Barefoot

While the current trend is for some riders to espouse the
"barefoot" condition for their horses, there is a strong
rational for shoeing. I offer in excess of 26,000 miles of
AERC competition on our horses, with shoes. I also offer 25
years of AERC Competition with shoes with well over 95% in
the top ten with shoes. I offer these statistics regarding
horses in competition that have never had a foot or leg
problem associated with shoes. I also offer that we have had
these competitive horses lead long wholesome lives.

Now, I will not say we have never had a lame horse. That
would be a lie. We have had lameness from wire cuts, a bowed
tendon from deep sand and splints from being kicked. We have
had tenderness in the spring time when the feet, deshod for
the winter, have been worn down short.

I do believe that going bare foot is very good and natural.
Very few owners keep their horses as close to a natural
condition as we do. But, there comes a time during the
course of riding, conditioning and training, let alone
competing, that some protection is necessary. The time comes
when even the unshod "natural horse hoof" needs protection.
Hoof boots are a compromise the same way a shoe is a
compromise.

Bob Morris