Re: Barefoot

> I believe bruises are most often caused by improper trimming or an
improper
> shape of the hoof capsule. A barefoot horse with full feeling in his foot
that quickly un-weights a foot before applying full weight on a rock is less
likely to suffer a bruise>>.
>> A shod (or contracted) horse who has a reduction in feeling in his foot
> some degree due to reduced circulation is more likely to fully weight the
> foot on the same rock and receive a bruise.>>>

Whoa!!  Certainly improper trimming can be bad for a horse, but bruises are
caused by impact.  And yes, any horse traveling at a walk will unweight his
foot when he encounters a rock that would bruise him, but traveling at 8-10
mph, NO horse, barefoot or otherwise, will unweight his foot in mid stride!

> Abscesses are often a sign of tissue damage within the hoof capsule due to
> long term improper trimming and/or shoeing, e.g. high heels, over grown
> bars, contraction, little or no hoof mechanism, etc. Of course a puncture
> wound is also likely to cause an abscess.>>

Abscesses are the result of capillaries within the sole breaking from impact
causing a bruise which then creates a pocket for bacteria to invade and
multipy OR, a puncture, using the same process.  Some horses are more
susceptible than others.  I have not noticed more abcesses in any one single
population (neglected feet, well kept  feet, pasture ornaments or not)

> The coffin bone can actually bruise the sole. If the sole is unable to
draw
> flat making room for the coffin bone as it descends upon weightbearing,
the
> coffin bone can hit and bruise the sole. High heels causing the tip of the
> coffin bone to hit the sole with every step will not only bruise the sole
> but eventually deform the tip of the coffin bone. Ever seen a crescent
shape
> bruise between the tip of the frog and the wall at the toe? >>

No, not in 18 years of shoeing and trimming as many as 800 horses a year -
EXCEPT in foundered horses.  I would argue that the stuctures that hold a
normal horse's foot (as long as the coffin bone has not permanently rotated
downward as in chronic laminitis) do not allow for the coffin bone to move
enough to 'hit' anything.

>>But my horses'
> health takes precedence over my long time dream of endurance riding.>>

I am glad you have not had to shoe your Icelandics.  I agree that is a
healthy and cost effective way to keep horses.  My experience (20 years of
endrance) has shown that I can not compete at the level I want to compete
in, with a barefoot horse.  My horses' health also takes precedence over any
goals I have.

Laura Hayes