From: Maggie Mieske [mailto:mmieske@netonecom.net]
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 7:53 AM
To: Mike and Kathy Kelly; Ridecamp
Subject: RC: Re: barefoot

Sometimes metal shoes don't prevent discomfort.  Some horses need pads.  If a horse is shod with 8 nails in each foot, it acts as a cast and prevents the expansion needed for circulation.  Nelson uses only 4-6 nails in each hoof and never puts nails in the back holes....that's where the expansion is needed.  My horse goes barefoot in the spring until he starts to wear more than he is growing.  Then he generally will get front shoes first and hind shoes when he needs them.  My only objections to going barefoot is the idea that because horses in the wild go barefoot, all horses should be able to go barefoot as well...what our horses go through for us and the kind of life they live as domesticated animals is nothing like the life they would live in the wild.  The feet do not grow the same and for most of us who don't have thousands of acres of mountains or hills with rocks, etc. the feet don't wear the same.  You are right, trimming is essential.  However, not every horse can go barefoot just as every horse will not respond favorably to the Strasser method or natural balance shoeing or whatever the current fad may be.  EVERY HORSE IS AN INDIVIDUAL and must be treated as such.  If you find what works for your horse, count yourself lucky.  Nelson trims and shoes a lot of problem horses for the reasons I mentioned above...we subject them to OUR wishes and desires and the environment in which they live.  Shoes are a necessary evil sometimes....no, they are not ideal.  But if shod properly,  a horse can go many miles in comfort and safety.  I would advise people to find what works for THEIR horse (and sometimes it takes some trial and error whether it's angles for trimming, shoeing methods or whatever) and then stick with it.  I would like to caution people about trimming out too much sole and frog...they have a purpose.  There is a difference between trimming out EXCESS and trimming out for looks.  When people ask us about trying something new they have heard about it we ask them WHY?  If the horse has a problem, fine.  We can try something new.  If it ain't broke, why try to fix it?  JMHO,
Maggie