barefoot on the WRRT

Since this is a recurring thread, I'd like to vist it as a ride manager.

In the case of the Weiser River Rail Trail Ride,   this is a very spectator
friendly trail.
Because it is on an old rail bed it is also rocky most of the way.   Most,
but not all,  of  last year's  riders used some form of extra hoof
protection,  easy boots alone, easy boots over shoes,  hoof pads, or special
packing (packing didn't seem to stay in well)
Regardless of type of foot gear,  we had no pulls related to footing.

I have been with barefooted horses on this trail.  Most find themselves very
uncomfortable within several miles,  all within 5 or 6.
Because it is such a visible event I'm not willing to present the
non-endurance riding public with an opportunity to see limping horses at an
organized event.
Endurance riding is under pressure as it is, without giving away any more
ammunition.
I've heard before "I'll start and if it doesn't work I'll pull."
To me, this is not acceptable, the horse is still sore for no reason.
On vet's approval of each horse, we will reluctantly allow pleasure riders
to start without foot protection, if they ask, subject to being asked to
return to camp at any point, if horse doesn't seem to be doing ok.

Dot Wiggins   RM  WRRT