More barefoot

I'd like to make several points.

1.   I like to see horses barefooted whenever possible.
2.    I know some foot and leg woes start with poor shoeing.
3.    Good farriers are hard to find.
4.     Shoeing is expensive.

Given all of the above,  "most"  hard working horses need some kind of
protection.
Some horses in the right environment can do a lot of work without shoes.
In some environments they can't even travel far enough between feed and
water to maintain themselves.
I keep hearing about "conditioning" to go barefoot by "trimming" and "rocky
pastures"
I grew up where almost all horses grew up outdoors, not in 20 acres or less
with a rocky corner,  but 100s, often 1000s, of acres, with rocks, hills,
whatever.
Even after they were trained, and working, usually after 4 yrs old, they
were seldom kept in.   Some were used everyday, some less often.
Depending on location,  and work, some were rarely shod,  others shod as
needed.
Some times they come in from the range so sorefooted they  had to be shod
before any riding.
(I don't know about others, but to me, a mount picking its way thru the
rocks is unsafe to ride.  Besides, he's hurting, at least some steps.  Why
would you want to punish a good horse?  See how you do running on a gravel
road barefoot.)  I did know a couple of guys who would not shoe a horse that
wanted to buck or run away till he was on the way to better manners.
Usually worked, too.
Horses have been shod in some way since man first started riding.   I'm sure
some shoes are an improvement, I expect there will new kinds and new ways to
attach them, but till then I will nail on metal footware any time I need my
horse to go out and work.
I'm lucky to have a good farrier, and know others. (For years I did my own,
too old now, but usually know when feet are right)

I'd be willing to discuss this more off list if anyone wants.

Dot Wiggins   AERC 968  PNER 475
Mont   Wy   Id  Or  since 1930