Heat & Human electrolytes & Diet

I suffered heat exhaustion on my first Tevis (88) and vowed never to be the weak link again!  Here are some things that have helped me (recommended by a friend, Jeff Herten, MD, endurance rider & ultra-marathon runner):

    -Take electrolytes!  Gatorade was not enough for me.  I mix the electrolytes with applesauce and take a teaspoon-full at most every check.  Keeps me drinking water, and I don't have headaches or feel like throwing up after the ride as I did before.    I couldn't believe what a difference this made!

    -Include plenty of protein and fat in pre-race and race day diet.  When I changed from "carbo-loading" to this diet, I had significantly more energy and felt better after the race, too.

    -Train in the heat.  If you're going to ride in the heat, you must train in the heat.  Your body needs to get ready for it just like your horse's!

    -Cool yourself off with water frequently -- squirt on back of neck, inside helmet or whatever works for you.  Sometimes we're focused so much on our horses, we forget that we need to cool off, too.

On my second Tevis, it was 122' in the canyons, but I was ready for it.  I'm still susceptible to the heat -- but just have to do my homework.

Naomi Preston