Ride diet for hypoglycemia

Hi Kristene,
A diet that may be optimal for most people may not be the best idea
for you, since you describe symptoms similar to hypoglycemia.
Well, actually, you didn't describe any symptoms and if you'd like
you can respond to me personally with that information.
Assuming you do indeed experience low blood sugar, I would steer
you away from carbo-loading.  I am not sure that it is neccessarily
appropriate for anyone doing endurance riding.  Carbo-loading is
generally reserved for competitions that meet the following criteria:
last at least 1.5 hours and terminate in exhaustion or near exhaustion.
Riding is a prolonged, but low intensity sport, requiring somewhere less
than 50% of your maximal aerobic capacity.  Most people do not collapse
off their horses at the finish line.  We hope.  Carbs are increasingly the
preferred fuel as exercise intensity increases, while fats can supply much
of the energy in lower intensity endeavors.

People with hypoglycemia generally over-produce insulin, or are
especially sensitive to insulin's effects.  Insulin is released in
response to carbohydrate and protein intake, especially carbs.  I'd
not prime your system with lots of carbohydrates right before the
event.  Rather, eat a very mixed diet with lots of fruits and
vegetables, SOME meat and dairy and a reasonable amount of fats
in the days leading up to the ride.  I am not talking about the Atkins Diet here, this is NOT the
time to restrict energy intake or try to lose weight.  During the ride I would eat foods
that contain some protein, fats and carbs.  This could be lean sandwiches,
peanut butter crackers, cheese and low fat crackers, Balance-type bars,
handfuls of trail mix or salted seeds with pretzels and sports drinks.  Take small
amounts at any given time, but eat at regular intervals [as best you can,
anyway].  The recommendations for exercise which rely soley on sports
drinks are designed for high intensity racing situations, where solid food
can not be swallowed or tolerated.  Endurance riding gives you much more
leeway in food choices, and should allow you to maintain steady blood
glucose levels. Beth Glace, MS Sports Nutritionist NISMAT Lenox Hill
Hospital NY, NY