RE: People diet for endurance (long reply)

I am diabetic.  I started out with hypoglycemia and had some major crashes
at first.  Until I found out about Chromium picolinate.  Read about it in a
magazine.  Costs about $5 or $6 at Wal-Mart...don't buy the stuff that touts
the weight loss.  Look right in the regular vitamins.  As long as I took the
chromium, I did NOT have any crashes.  If I forgot, I could count on a low
at some point during the day.  I still take it and it DOES help prevent the
highs and the lows.  Its purpose in our body is to stabilize blood sugar.
It works and it's not any fancy product or anything...I have recommended it
to many people and to some, it has been like a miracle.  The Atkins diet is
NOT for everyone.  I have trouble with following it to the letter.  However,
I have found that just being CONSCIOUS of the carbs I put into my body has
made a huge difference for me.  I still eat out and even at all you can eat
buffets.  I even have dessert....Nelson and I will agree on what things we'd
like to try and share a plate.  Just having SOME makes me feel better.  And
I still lose weight.  My blood sugar is down and I think I am going to have
to reduce my Glucophage so I don't start getting too low!  :)  Also be aware
of a food's glycemic index...some carbs will be converted to glucose more
quickly than others.  I try to choose low or middle of the road foods but I
still crave a baked potato now and then (that has a glycemic index of 98)
but if I eat it with plenty of salad or veggies and protein, it doesn't
bother me.  It is important to me to lose weight this winter because I want
to be able to be a better and LIGHTER rider for Malik.  I want to be able to
do 100s and I know right now I am not capable of that.  I am also looking
into our open gym nights at our local high school so I can go and walk
somewhere during the winter and maybe use some of the weight equipment.
Maggie