Re: GPS

   Hi Laney & Julienne,

 Actually Laney the Garmin Etrex Summit holds 20 routes of 50 waypoints
each where the garmin GPS III+ only holds 20 routes of 30 waypoints
each. So the Summit can hold bigger routes.  Both will store 500
watypoints total. The etrex that cannot hold as many routes is the basic
yellow model, just known as an etrex. I would recommend getting a model
slightly better than that one. The etrex summit is my choice for
endurance riding, the etrex legend or vista for endurance and traveling
since they have road maps built in.

Jim Mitchell

Laney wrote:
Julienne,
    After xp2001 this summer, I'm a confirmed gps-er.  I have a Garmin
III+ but I
think for almost all horse riding the Etrex Summit is just as good, if
not better
since it's smaller.  It is also more user friendly (which may make the
III+ a better
choice if your fiance' loves decoding programmer-ese!)  Actually, I
think the III+
is no longer being made so you might have to hunt for it, but I'll bet
you'll find
good deals on it.  The main difference between the 2 models is the
number of routes
and waypoints that can be downloaded into the unit.  This summer the
III+s could
hold an entire week's worth of routes and waypoints but the summits
could only hold
a couple of days worth - not a big difference in the real world!
Cheers, Laney