Re: Where does UAE stand? from Angie

----- Original Message -----
From: CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 11:22 AM
To: wsabg@t-online.de; ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: RE: Where does UAE stand? from Angie

In a message dated Thu, 20 Sep 2001  5:30:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time, wsabg@t-online.de (Wolfgang Schwingenheuer) writes:

> It may be possible that individuals from either of those countries are
> involved as it might be possible that some individuals who live or lived
> here in Germany are involved. But don't blame a whole country for such
> creatures.

Wolfgang has this right.  These rogues and criminals hide in all countries, all over the globe.  There are most likely a great many more of them here in the US as well.  So while a particular country may not be involved, it is no surprise that the terrorists themselves originate from any of several countries.  Everyone was born somewhere...

One of my most vivid impressions of the WEC in the UAE was going into the stadium guarded by armed guards--there to prevent terrorism.

Heidi

I bet most of ya thought I'd be jumping on this one.  But I will not.  I'd like to believe that just cause some of the hijackers had UAE and Saudi passports, it doesn't mean a thing.  No connection whatsoever to who is running the country, even though it does kind of bug me that the one of the only three countries in the world who do recognize the current government running Afghanistan is UAE (the other two are Pakistan and Saudi).

I will no longer bad mouth the Sultans of Swing, at least openly here on ridecamp.  There are several reasons for that, some very personal.  I might be naive with this one, I don't know.  Only time will tell.  But I do know I've suddenly picked up a desire to know and learn more about the Arab culture; at least more than I did know.  And, believe it or not, I have my name listed up there at Embry Riddle University as a point of contact; as someone who wants to help any foreign person who may be experiencing problems because of this tragedy.  I didn't use the word Arab or Middle Eastern in my flyer on a couple of bulletin boards, but it's who I was reaching out to.  I figure if one of them stays at my place for awhile, I might just learn something.  And I really do want to find out what the heck is going on here.  And if they do come, I will shut up and listen, for once.  And if they know how to ride a horse, we'll be out there in the woods together, side by side.

My sadness still exceeds my anger. I cannot get the image out of my head of the husband and wife who leapt from one of the twin towers, together, holding hands.  This vision will not leave me.   I have a nephew who is the Air Force, Special Forces. His name is Shannon Gallagher.  He cannot leave the base where he's stationed and can be shipped out somewhere (he won't even be able to call anyone to let us know he's going) at anytime.  And believe me, I'm not looking forward to him going.  He's a part of the Air Force that I always tried to avoid when I was in.  And, right now, he is my hero, for I know this young 20 year old American male (I can't even legally buy him a beer) has more courage, more intestinal fortitude, than I ever dreamed of having.  And if something happens to him over this, it will be a loss that I just won't be able to handle right now.

These are tough times.  Please be careful with your words and your actions.  If Howard can control himself (and I know you're in shock with that thought), I know ya'll can.

Bless this country,

Howard