Re: RC: dragging feet/gait help

  Hi Beth,

   This one hits very close to home as my 3yr old
filly also dragged her hind feet. She would also swap
hind leads behind when first teaching her to canter.
at the time I just thought it was due to immaturity
and lack of strength. however, with all the young
horses I have started I had never encountered this
before. In retro-spect it should have been my first
clue something was amiss. I worked on alot of
strengthing exercises which seemed to help. Infact she
stopped crossfiring and was developing a really nice
cadenced canter. However when first being warmed up
she would occasionally lose her back end as in she
seemed to miss-step like she just forgot about where
her hind foot was for one stride. This didn't happen
often but enough to make me wonder. As time wore on
this become more frequent. Then a few weeks ago I went
to bring her up from the pasture and one hip bone was
a good inch lower than the other and I noticed some
slight muscle loss on the lower hip side. Three days
prior nothing was amiss, physically. Well now I'm
really concerned and take her to the vet asap.

   For those of you that have gone through this, by
now probably  recognized the symptoms of EPM. I was
taken off guard when my vet suggested we test for
this, but now looking back it sure explains alot of
things that just didn't seem right. The very first of
these being  dragging her hind feet. I realize that
there are other issues that cause a horse to drag it's
back feet but I would keep a look out for other EPM
symptoms that might go with the dragging of the hind
feet.

  Yes...I never thought it would happen to my
horse....sigh....

Penny & Daisy

--- beth glover <bgloverhrsewmn@hotmail.com> wrote:

<HR>
Ridecampers; I have encountered a horse that I was
thinking of buying, but upon watching her, I see that
when she walks, she often drags her hind feet. Not all
the time, but often. She does it at liberty and while
under saddle. She has very short hooves from living in
a very rocky area. Her hind hooves are squared off as
if with a rasp and I thought it was the work of a
farrier, but now I see that she did it herself. Most
likely we will pass on buying the mare, but does
anyone know why she does this? Is it neurological? Is
this something that will lead to long term disability?
Can it be corrected? I should tell the owner...she is
a friend.&nbsp; Thanks for your input riders!!! Beth
download of MSN Explorer at <a

Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net,
http://www.endurance.net.
Information, Policy, Disclaimer: