dragging feet/gait help

Hi Ridecampers; I have encountered a horse that I was thinking of buying, but upon watching her, I see that when she walks, she often drags her hind feet. Not all the time, but often. She does it at liberty and while under saddle. She has very short hooves from living in a very rocky area. Her hind hooves are squared off as if with a rasp and I thought it was the work of a farrier, but now I see that she did it herself. Most likely we will pass on buying the mare, but does anyone know why she does this? Is it neurological? Is this something that will lead to long term disability? Can it be corrected? I should tell the owner...she is a friend.  Thanks for your input riders!!! Beth Glover