Re: RC: endurance vs Natrc

>Elayne hnic452@AOL.COM
>I've attended 2 LD rides and both times I thought my horse
>looked really bad at completion. He was well prepared prior
>to the races. He didn't drink well on course and had low gut
>sounds at the end of each. I took the entire 6 hours to
>complete, so we weren't rushing, but I do believe we went too
>slow sometimes and too fast sometimes. I was thinking about
>switching to NATRC because of the pacing required, but was
>wondering if the same types of problems occur during these
>rides also. Why are mile markers not used in endurance?

The same problems can occur if your horse isn't prepared, but with
typically two to three R&R/Vet stops (allocated at 15 minutes each in the
timing), plus a 30-45 minute lunch stop,  a 20-30 mile NATRC ride gives the
horse more time to rest and "catch its breath". The distance and speed (in
Open Division) while out on the trail might be the same as a slow LD, but
there are more breaks taken.

NATRC's Novice Division is a little shorter than an LD, and a slower pace
(4-5 mph typically), with the same number of breaks -- and it's perfect for
letting the horse learn to drink on the trail and rate himself before
asking him to go faster, further, and with more intensity.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky