RE: Terrorism

I don't understand suicide.  Just don't get it.

Howard, I don't understand suicide either or murder. I've actually spent some time studying suicide and when you are dealing with individuals, you are almost always dealing with people who are ill. Much to the chagrin of some of my more mainline Muslim friends, I think that you could say the same thing about people who grasp an idea with such force that it becomes the be all and end all of their existence. I haven't worked out the heaven and hell stuff yet, since my experience is that we have plenty in this lifetime.

So, Maryanne, could you explain this passion that some of the Arab terrorists have with suicide and spending the afterlife in Paradise with 7 virgins?  They say it's in the Koran somewhere.  I've never understood this, and am wondering just what the whole thing is all about.

The Koran as a revelation came to a group of people who were ostracized from an animist culture and under attack. Thus, it's hardly surprising that goodies are promised to those who defend the new culture unto death. It should also be noted that there are a lot of social rules in the Koran about the caring for widows and orphans as well. 7 virgins? I dunno. I think it might be the death of most of the guys I know. <G>  The fact is that most Muslims see no need for jihad in this world, just as most Christians don't run around telling people who don't happen to follow THEIR brand of religion that they will go to hell for sure. Suicide and murder are just as evil in Muslim culture as they are in Christian. Probably most people would be surprised to find that the stigma is SO great that the crash of Egypt Air 99 has never been publicly admitted to be the act of a deranged man, although privately many people will admit so with great discomfort.

 Maryanne, I think the world of you.  You know so much about the Arab culture; things that most of us Americans do not know.  So, I turn to you with these questions.  They are sincere.  I just don't understand.

The fact is that most Arabs are just like you and me. Most of them are happy if they can pull a middle-class income, get their kids through school and have enough to live on for retirement. Many of them are so poor that a middle class income would beat seven virgins blind. Most Arabs never make it into a newspaper or magazine. All the Arabs I know are so stunned and horrified by the happenings of yesterday, they don't know what to think. But they are also angry that when something like this happens, it's always assumed that they did it. Did they blow up the federal building in Oklahoma City? Don't you think that if someone were crazy enough to do this as an act against the Great American Satan, they sure as hell would want credit for it? Why isn't anyone coming forth? Just maybe it isn't the Arabs. Just maybe we are just ordinary folks who would rather wander through the World Trade Center than see it burn. I saw falling buildings in my dreams all last night and I know I'm not alone.  When they find out (and I hope they do) who did these terrible things, those people will have a lot to answer for because there is no holy war and it was flat out murder.  But what if they find out it wasn't Arabs? Will we get an apology? Will the boys who beat up my son's friend come back and say sorry? Will people not assume that the Arabs are the bad guys next time......I really wonder.

Also, I just wanted you to know, about your kids.  IF things ever get too bad for them, even though I'm not that close geographically, they can stay with me, anytime.  If this whole thing does turn out to be Bin Laden related or connected to Iraq or Iran, I know you will want to know they are safe.  They'll be safe with me.

Hopefully, Howard, it will never come to something like that. As a matter of fact I know a very gentle young man who just happens to carry the name Bin Laden who is studying in the US right now, and we worry greatly for his safety. This guy is a rider and a kinder boy couldn't be found....just got born into the wrong family. More than my children, who have their Jewish godfather lawyer to care for them in New York, I would hope you would offer to take in this boy who would really need the care and protection.

cya,
Howard

 cya,
Maryanne